THE SWING



THE SWING
Robert Louis Stevenson - 1850-1894

How do you like to go up in a swing?
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
Rivers and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!

Picture:
'Girl on a Swing'
--Winslow Homer



Do you (or did you ever) like to swing? While I was at my mother's last week, it was fun to watch my little niece and nephew swinging on their swing set next door. Chase, who just had his first birthday, could spend the whole day in his swing, if they would let him...as long as someone gives him a push and keeps it going, that is.
When I was a child, there was a tire swing where we used to go swimming, and how exciting it was to swing out over the water, then let go and land with a big splash!
After we had our mountain home built, we made sure that both porches (front and back) each had a swing. They're alot more tame than a tire swing, but enjoyable, never the less!


2 comments:

bp said...

I'd love to have a porch with a swing like that. I had a tire swing when I was little that I enjoyed.

The picture made me think of the old song Peepaw and I used to sing "Just a Swingin.'"

have a good day!

Marsha said...

I can remember memorizing that poem in school as a child...I'd totally forgotten about it.

Gotta love our porch swing. It's a favorite place to be 3 seasons of the year.

Thanks for your prayers. We're seeing some progress.